Hi! You found your way over to Austin Aslan during the Spring 2017 YA Scavenger Hunt! Congratulations. You may have arrived here via Kat Ellis. Awesome. (And my Team Gold #YASH host is Corrinne O’Flynn. Check it out!) If you happen to not know what the heck I’m talking about, Go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page to find out all about the hunt. And if you’re experiencing any technical glitches, don’t worry, Glitch Happens. Go here for some tasty medicine.
So, here’s the deal. I actually have some very exciting book related news to share. But… I can’t share it yet. This is STILL true! I will be able to share more very soon, so stay posted. Meanwhile, instead of slowing down your blog hunt with a fluffy, superfluous blog post (which you’d just skim anyway), I’ll get on with the show.
144 (ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOUR)
AND NOW FOR THE MAIN EVENT! I’M HOSTING Amy Christine Parker!
I’m very excited for Amy Christine Parker, the YA author I’m hosting for this scavenger hunt.
Amy has provided me with some real gems of bonus material for you to study.
Seven Smash & Grab “Behind the Scenes” Secrets
- While researching the book, I toured a local bank and spent time in the vault, handing cash with dye packs inside, investigating the teller stations, and looking over the paperwork all bank employees fill out when a robbery occurs. Weird fact: Nearly every teller in that bank had witnessed a robbery while on the job.
Side note: Dye packs are put into certain stacks of cash so that if a robbery occurs, they will detonate and mark the robber with dye, making it easier for police to find them. This picture shows a detonated pack.
- I got the idea for the movie dumbwaiter that leads to the basement where the bank vault is from the bank manager during my tour. She worked in an historical bank that had one to transport cash from the bank’s main floor to the vault.
- I choose one main song for every book that I write. It represents the thoughts and feelings of my characters and so I play this song over and over obsessively. For Smash & Grab that song was Dangerous by Big Data.
Music Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo
- I rewrote the opening scene eleven times before getting it right.
- The original opening scene involved a motorcycle race down the same spillway used for a chase scene in Terminator 2. If you’ve read Gated, you know I reference Terminator in the first chapter. What can I say? I’m a fan. Also, I had an intense teenage crush on Michael Biehn (Kyle in original Terminator).
- The book was loosely inspired by actual teen bank robbers. You can learn more about them here.
- Lexi’s group of friends is a nicer, more likeable, less spoiled version of the real life kids in the Bling Ring—a group of LA kids who snuck into famous actors’ homes and successfully stole their stuff and later became the subjects of a movie made by Sofia Coppola.
Real Life Bling Ring:
Best of luck, Amy! And best of luck to you, fearless hunter. Before you scurry off to visit the next author on the hunt, LH Nicole, please feel free to peek around my entire site for a while and follow the links to my two YA survival-disaster sci fi novels, THE ISLANDS AT THE END OF THE WORLD and THE GIRL AT THE CENTER OF THE WORLD. And please leave a comment below, let me know you stopped by!
And please check out my recent photo essays for Gore-Tex(R) chronicling my epic two-month, 800-mile Arizona Trail thru hike. And be sure to follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram and facebook to follow my adventures in real time!